Understand what is lutein first
Lutein is one of the six hundred kinds of natural carotenoids that have been discovered so far, and it is a photosynthetic pigment. Do you know what are the benefits of taking lutein?
It is relatively easy to find Lutein in green leafy vegetables, but the human body cannot synthesize Lutein on its own, so it needs to be ingested from food.
Lutein itself is an antioxidant, coexists with zeaxanthin in nature, and can filter harmful light such as blue light to achieve the effect of protecting the eye.
And the content of Lutein is sufficient, just like the concept of applying enough sunscreen to the eyes, you can isolate the blue light!
In the study, it was found that carotenoids such as Lutein’s ability to protect the macular area of the retina mainly come from:
- Absorb the energy of strong light to avoid damage to the retina of the eyes
- Its own antioxidant power can reduce the generation of free radicals and reduce the damage to the eyes
In the daily diet, dark green vegetables and egg yolk are good choices to recommend Lutein and zeaxanthin.
Compared with the common Lutein health food brands on the market, the Lutein dosage form is mainly divided into lutein esters and free form Lutein.
What are the benefits of taking lutein?
There is a lot of information on the Internet about Lutein’s recommendation of various brands and the efficacy and benefits of Lutein.
Here I have compiled research and empirical information about the sufficient effects of Lutein on the human body, especially the effects and benefits of the eyes so that everyone can compare and refer to:
- Can improve the eyes “dark adaptability”
- Can “filter blue light” and other harmful light
- Improve eye “visual adaptability” (ex. glare)
- Can enhance the eye “visual recognition function”
- Beneficial to prevent “macular degeneration” of the eyes
- Helps reduce the risk of eye “cataracts”
- Can relieve “eye fatigue” of eyes
- “Water crystal” that can protect your eyes
- Prevent “sequences of high myopia” and provide nutrients needed by the eyes
- Can provide eye nutrition and reduce the incidence of “glaucoma”
- Improve “Skin Photoaging Condition” caused by ultraviolet radiation damage
- Can enhance “brain health and cognitive function”
- Helps prevent “cardiovascular disease” (e.g. heart disease, stroke)
Who is suitable to eat Lutein? How to eat and how much is enough? Overdose
A sufficient amount of Lutein is very helpful to the human body, especially the eyes. In addition, most modern people’s lives are inseparable from computers, mobile phones, TVs…and other 3C products.
Therefore, general office workers, candidates studying for higher education, 3C bowheads, and seniors are suitable for recommending adequate intake of Lutein.
If you have smoking habits, patients with high three, and obesity problems, due to health conditions, relative to healthy adults, lutein in the macula is more likely to be insufficient, and it is also suitable for supplementation.
In addition, it is recommended that pregnant mothers supplement Lutein in time to help the fetus’ eye development and body nutrient supply!
If supplementing Lutein with health foods, it is recommended to ingest 30 minutes after a meal, and it is recommended that after early or lunch, because Lutein is still a fat-soluble nutrient because the body’s metabolic rate will slow down at night, so eat Lutein during the day The effect is better.
Eating too little content of Lutein is not the same as cleaning products, but it does not work. However, eating too much will not be beneficial to the human body. Instead, it may cause a burden due to accumulation in the human body. Anything is the best amount!
According to many medical and ophthalmology research journals, the recommended intake for Lutein is generally 10 mg per day for adults, and the recommended intake for children aged 6-12 is 3 to 6 mg per day. It is best not to overdose.
In addition, pay special attention to not falling into the “Lutein dose trap” of many manufacturers
Generally speaking, Lutein Ester 30 mg means that it contains Lutein 15 mg, which is equal to the actual dose discounted. If it is free form Lutein 20 mg, it will not be discounted.
Therefore, when buying a brand, don’t just stick to the dose of Lutein, but also pay attention to what type of Lutein.
At present, Lutein of various brands on the market is mostly calendula extract, and the actual purity ranges from 5% to 20%.
If a brand of Lutein is labeled as 30 mg of calendula extract, it does not mean that the brand contains 30 mg of Lutein, but that the ratio of 5% to 20% of 30 mg is the content of Lutein.
When recommending the purchase of the Lutein brand, remember to compare the purity and understand the actual dose of Lutein, not the dose of raw materials
Finally, don’t forget to check whether the selected Lutein brand has produced the “Lutein Dose Test Certificate” to avoid buying exaggerated and unrealistic products in order to make you eat more at ease.
What does it mean that Lutein is divided into “esterified type and free type”?
The common Lutein brands on the market are mostly extracted from calendula. Let’s talk about the cheap synthetic raw materials of Lutein first.
The two most respected and recommended patents Lutein are:
- Flora GLO is free form Lutein (produced by KEMIN)
- Xangold is a lutein esters (produced by COGNIS)
According to the data of the USDA-NCC database, 80% of Lutein and 13% of zeaxanthin in our daily diet are taken in free form rather than esterified form.
Free form Lutein (English: Free form lutein)
The fatty acid has been removed through hydrolysis technology, and the molecular weight is only about 1/2 of the esterified type.
It can be absorbed directly in the small intestine without going through the human digestion process.
It transforms the nutrients required by the adult body. It is generally believed that the free absorption rate is better.
The average rate is 23% higher than the esterified type, and the bioavailability is five times that of the esterified type.
Many medical journals also confirmed that free form Lutein can be effectively absorbed by the eye and increase the MPOD (lutein concentration index) content.
Compared with free form Lutein, it has a longer structural formula. Because it contains fat, it has a larger molecular weight.
Although it has excellent bioavailability and stability, it needs to be assisted by intestinal enzymes to break it down into Free form lutein and fatty acids.
It can only be absorbed and utilized by the human body, so people with poor digestion or poor stomach are less suitable for eating this type of Lutein.
Where can I buy the best lutein?
In recent years, food safety problems in various countries have exploded, and it is not healthy but black-hearted products that everyone spends on. Therefore, European and American products with relatively strict quality control have become popular products.
And iHerb.com is a large-scale medical cosmetics e-commerce company in the United States. It has a high satisfaction rate of 97% in the evaluation of Google customers. It provides global home delivery so that you can buy it without risking buying fakes through purchasing high-quality health products.
Supplement: Lutein’s latest experimental research in 2019-2020
According to the Lutein research conducted by the FloraGlo brand and its American original factory, Lutein is the main carotenoid in the brain. Therefore, green leafy vegetables rich in Lutein can help brain development and health.
According to research, Lutein is preferentially absorbed by the brains of infants and the elderly.
Therefore, for pregnant women or breastfeeding, it is recommended that pregnant moms can take a sufficient dose of Lutein, which will greatly help the baby’s brain development and cognitive function support!
And for the brain development and cognitive function of the elderly, there is better prevention and maintenance to prevent degradation!
- I believe you have a deeper understanding of Lutein and related product brands on the market,
- Finally, I want to share and summarize with you, some conditions about the selection of Lutein brands and products~
- A good efficacy and effect “Lutein” should meet the following conditions:
- Recommend to choose Free form lutein & Free Zeaxanthin
- Lutein: Zeaxanthin = 10: 2 mg Gold is just right
- Lutein with beneficial compound (e.g. anthocyanin, astaxanthin)
- Recommend to choose the patent company Lutein
- Lutein compound also needs to recognize patented raw materials to be more secure
- Dose test with original inspection (each capsule should have more than 10mg)
- Lutein has the most peace of mind with SGS inspection (Western medicine, heavy metals)
- Lutein packaging has the original authorized trademark or laser label for the most peace of mind
- Third-party certified brands are preferred
I hope everyone can have a correct understanding of Lutein, find a suitable brand of Lutein products, and improve the adjustment of physiological functions!